Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Planning to plan

Although our big plans will likely mean that we'll move from our current home to a rental before the 2012 harvest, I'm still trying to act and plan and think and dream like a real, live, grounded gardener.

Heather's garden notebook, from Heather's Homemaking
To that end, I'm taking notes on note taking. Garden Note keeping, that is.

My goal is to document and learn from the following:

  • Seeds:
    • varieties
    • sources
  • Dates: 
    • seed starting indoors
    • germination of different seeds
    • seed starting outdoors
    • transplanting starts to outdoors
  • Lessons learned:
    • when I realize I've made a mistake, I'd like to document it for next time
Jenny's lovely potted veggies,
from In the Garden
And because we'll be moving, my actual garden plans have changed a bit. I still plan to plant in the ground at our current home, if only to help sell the house... ideally we'll show it in May when everything is big and bushy and green.

I'll also plant in containers as much as possible, creating a movable garden that I can relocate to our new, temporary abode, wherever it is. It's alright - I was going to plant carrots and potatoes in a pot, anyway! ;)

If we move quickly enough, I may even end up with a third, in-ground garden at our rental place. May, June, and July are still early enough to plan plenty of things and get a harvest before the frost sets in.

No comments:

Post a Comment